Easy Vegetarian Spaghetti Recipe
Do you love spaghetti? Here is an easy vegetarian spaghetti recipe with mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic. It's so delicious, it's so simple. You're friends will love you, you're neighbors will want to be invited... and it's dirt cheap and easy to make!
I don't know if you need any more excuses to eat spaghetti? I don't! Pasta is simple, frugal and rather healthy (actually) to make. And easy!
You can use any type of spaghetti that you like; regular, whole wheat, protein rich or gluten free. But it's the sauce... the sauce is what makes it marvelous!
If you love mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic- you'll love this vegetarian spaghetti sauce. It's simple and easy- but not quick. The long simmering is what allows the sauce to develop all the flavors, so take your time.
Make extra sauce for the freezer- yes the recipe freezes well- but take your time simmering for this super-easy recipe.
Easy Vegetarian Spaghetti Recipe with Mushroom Garlic Sauce
Here's What You Need
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cans 14oz (or 1 can 28oz), whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- black pepper to taste
- Optional: Vegetarian Parmesan cheese.
Here's What You Do
- Heat 2 tbs of the olive oil in a dutch oven (or other heavy bottomed pan with a lid).
- Add the whole tomatoes, salt, sugar and a bay leaf.
- Cook on medium-low heat under lid for about 30 min. As you stir occasionally, mash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon to help them fall apart.
- After 30 min. add the sliced mushrooms, the minced garlic, 2 more Tbs olive oil, dried marjoram, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking on a medium-high heat without lid for 20 min, until mushrooms are soft. Stirring now and then.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling, salted water, for about 8-10 minutes until desired done-ness.
- Drain the spaghetti, put it on a serving dish, then spoon the sauce on top and serve.
Optional: If you like you can sprinkle some vegetarian Parmesan cheese on top.
Any leftover sauce can be frozen for a busy day!