Vegetarian Roast with Cashews, Eggplant and Tomatoes
This elegant vegetarian roast is one I serve only at special occasions. It is Vegan and liked by all! Even meat eaters enjoy this dish very much.
Decorated with tomato slices on top makes it festive and colorful for the Holiday buffet. It is super healthy as well, but don’t tell anyone! Not all want to feel they eat “healthy, good for you food” at Holiday celebrations.. ;)
Serve the roast with delicious vegetarian gravy, cranberry sauce or “Lingon berry sylt” and either mashed potatoes or a potato gratin.
Prep ahead tips:
This dish is great to prepare in advance, as it tastes even better the day after!
You could also prepare just the rice and the eggplants a day in advance, it makes the whole recipe quicker and easier to make.
Vegetarian Roast Recipe
You will need
- 2 large eggplants, sliced in ½ inch slices.
- 8 Tbs. olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
- ½ cup brown rice. Boil it and it becomes around 2 cups.
- 2 cups raw cashew nuts, chopped roughly.
- 1 large onion, chopped.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 8 slices of rye toast. Toast them and chop in smaller chunks.
- ½ cube vegetable broth, dissolved in ½ cup water.
- 2 tsp. Marmite or brewer’s yeast. Dissolve together with the broth. (Or you can use 1 tsp. each soy sauce and Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce).
- 1 tsp. dried basil.
- ½ tsp. dried thyme.
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice (about ½ small lemon, squeezed).
- 1-2 thinly sliced tomatoes.
- 2 Tbs. pine nuts.
This is what you'll do
- Pre heat the oven to broil. Put eggplant slices in a deep pan
covered with a baking sheet, drizzle with 4 tbs. olive oil, salt and
pepper and mix. Spread all eggplant slices evenly and broil for about 5
minutes. Then mix again, and broil for another 5 minutes. You want the
eggplant slices to be light brown and tender. Set aside.
- Cook brown rice, about 40-45 min.
- Heat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Heat 4 Tbs. of the olive oil in a frying pan on
medium heat. Lightly fry the onions, garlic and cashew nuts until they
are fragrant and lightly browned. Add one chopped tomato and cook a few
- Mix the onion and cashew mix with the rice, bread
crumbs, broth and Marmite, spices and lemon juice in a bowl. Season as
you like with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil a medium to large baking (Pyrex) dish
and put a layer of half of the eggplant slices. Add the nut mixture,
and top with the rest of the eggplants and sliced tomatoes. You can
create a nice pattern with the tomatoes if you like.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the vegetarian roast is lightly browned.