Retro Vegetarian Pie
A retro style 80's vegetarian pie recipe filled with a delicious and flavorful vegetable filling. It has a healthy crust with whole wheat and a moist spinach, leek and vegetable filling. The recipe takes me back to my student years. A real keeper!
Don't let the not-so-beautiful look deceive you! This ugly duckling of a vegetable pie has all the goodness inside, not in the looks! Although not a truly gourmet design... after just one bite you and your guests will be hooked!
It's relatively easy to make, with simple, whole food ingredients. The only fiddly bit is the crust. You prepare it in advance, then let it rest for at least 15 min. in the fridge. If you let it rest longer, just make sure to take it out to room temperature at least 30 min before you try to roll it out.
Trying to get the crust lid "perfect" is not important. Just make it thin and let it cover the dish. It will break, so make it patchy instead! We're using whole wheat here- so it's healthier (and tastier) than just simple white flour.
Tip: You don't need to oil the pie pan, since the crust contains enough butter/ margarine itself.
The recipe can easily be doubled for a party of 10 people, or for a vegetarian buffet, it will be loved! You can freeze the whole thing in advance, it tastes great after heating again!
Retro Vegetarian Pie Recipe
Here's What You Need
- 1 cup salted butter or margarine
- 7/8 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cup wheat flour
- 3 Tbs water
- 1 lb broccoli, in bite sized chunks
- 2 large carrots, in bite sized chunks
- 1 finely chopped leek
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lb whole spinach, frozen whole
- 7/8 cup double cream
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tsp italian seasonng
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Here's What You Do
- Start with the pie crust: Mix butter/ margarine and flour together to a grainy mix.
- Add the water and continue kneading it to a dough.
- Let it rest in the fridge for at least 15 min.
- Meanwhile, boil the carrot chunks for 5 min.
- Then add the broccoli and spinach and boil another 5 min. Drain.
- Fry the mushrooms until lightly golden.
- Mix veggies and all the rest of the filling ingredients together and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 250C / 480F.
- Divide the pie dough in two. Roll out one part as the bottom of the pie and press into a pie form.
- Bake the bottom crust for 5 min.
- Meanwhile roll out the rest of the dough for the lid of the pie.
- Add the filling to the bottom crust, and place the lid on top. Patch the dough so it covers the dish.
- Bake the pie in 250C / 480F for 20 min.
This vegetable vegetarian pie tastes great both hot and warm. It also freezes very well.
Any vegetarian pie goes great with a vegetable salad. Even though this is a very filling pie recipe, for an even more substantial meal, serve with potato wedges and a mushroom gravy.