Easy Vegetarian Recipes
Vegetarian Meatloaf Recipe
Here is a veggie meatloaf sans the meat (obviously!) that
have all the taste and feel-good-in-your-stomach of a home cooked savory
meal. This recipe is also great for non-vegetarians.
Who says vegetarians don't want some good ol' fashioned comfort food? And who says the comfort food can't be healthy as well?
I don't like to imitate meat in any recipe, if I wanted meat I would simply eat it! But like many vegetarians I like the complement of chunky and smooth textures and heart warming and flavorful spices of potato mash, gravy and "meat" loaf.
If you prepare the lentils the day before, it makes the recipe fast and easy to make.
Vegetarian Meat Loaf Recipe
Here's What You Need:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs BBQ sauce, plus some for brushing on top.
- 2 Tbs tomato puree
- 2 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Here's What You Do:
- Wash and pick the lentils for any stones.
- Add lentils and bay leaf to the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered approx. 30 minutes, or until lentils are soft and most of water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaf. Drain but reserve about 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Mash the lentils.
- Mix well with all the other ingredients. Add a little liquid from the lentils if the mix seems too dry.
- Spoon into oiled loaf pan and even out with spatula.
- Bake at 350F/180C for 20 minutes, brush with BBQ sauce (or ketchup) and continue baking 20-25 minutes until top of loaf is golden brown.
- Let the vegetarian meatloaf stand for about 10 minutes before turning out.
Tastes Amazing With: