Quick and Easy Vegetarian Fajitas
Vegetarian fajitas are a quick and easy meal to make. This is also a budget friendly dish which can be varied with whatever veggies are in season, or what you have at home. Perfect for frantic days; roll it up and you're ready to go!
A fajita is a tasty and healthy Tex-Mexican fast food which is easily "vegetarianized". The basic ingredient is the tortilla that is warmed and wrapped around any kind of tasty veggies you like. It is delicious served with guacamole, salsa and perhaps sour cream as well.
In this recipe we'll be using fresh mushrooms, red and green bell pepper and red onions. It is very tasty to add some shredded cheese as well.
Vegetarian Fajitas with Mushrooms and Bell Peppers
Here's What You Need:
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp red paprika powder
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups finely sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro, or flat leaf parsley
- 1 Tbs lime or lemon juice
- 2-4 flour tortillas (depending on how large they are, and how much filling you put on!)
- Shredded cheese (any kind you like, vegan, mozzarella, Monterrey Jack)
- Guacamole, tomato salsa, sliced and pickled jalapeno peppers, and sour cream
Here's What You Do:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the spices, salt and garlic and stir. The spices will become more fragrant this way.
- Add all the vegetables and stir fry until done to your liking; crisp, tender or soft.
- Add the cilantro or parsley and the lime or lemon juice and stir.
- Take the skillet off the heat.
- Quickly heat the flour tortillas until heated through, either in a frying pan on the stove, in the oven or in the microwave. Don't let them get hard.
Plate the fajitas like this:
- Put a warm tortilla on a plate.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese (if you like), then spoon vegetable mix on top.
- Roll up the tortillas and serve them with guacamole, salsa and sour cream.
Tasty accompaniment dishes to fajitas are for example guacamole, homemade salsa and sour cream. But a crispy green salad is nice too.
If you don't have the time to fix a guacamole, simply slice some avocados and add to the tortilla before wrapping it up. If you need help, here are instructions on how to wrap a fajita.
Vegetarian Main Dishes