A roasted vegetable couscous is a quick and satisfying meal, perfect for vegetarians, and in this case even vegans! It is low-fat and filling, and can be served as a side dish as
well as a main meal.
Roasting the vegetables brings out their best flavor and sweetness. You can also add cooked (or canned) chickpeas for extra crunch and protein. It's delicious with some sprinkled Feta or goat cheese on top! If you serve it as a main meal, serve the dish together with a salad and grilled tomatoes, for example.
Couscous is originally a North African dish that is popular
around the Mediterranean and Middle East, as well as in many other
countries around the world.
The word "Couscous" can be a bit confusing. The Berber word it is derived from; [Seksu], means well rolled, well formed, or rounded. Couscous is both a north African dish, a pasta and a grain. Couscous comes in many, many variations, and even cracked bulghur wheat is
Anyhow, it is healthy, quick and simple to make and goes well with many vegetarian dishes and is a great substitute for example for rice.
Roasted Vegetable Couscous
Here's What You'll Need
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 1 large red or yellow pepper (or both!), diced
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 1 cup or 125 gr fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ounce or 25 gr black olives
- 1 pound or 450 gr couscous
Here's What You'll Do
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F.
- Chop the vegetables into medium
sized bits and the mushrooms in quarters (or half if small).
- Place the vegetables on a baking tray. Sprinkle
with olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well with your hands.
- Roast the vegetables in the
oven for 30-45 min.
- Add the olives 15 minutes before the end of the
- Meanwhile, cook the couscous according to the instructions on
the package (Generally you boil water, add a broth cube for more taste,
and add couscous to absorb the water off the stove.)
- Properly cooked couscous should be fluffy, so make sure the grains absorb all the water.
- When the vegetables are roasted, add them to the couscous and serve the couscous immediately. Yummy!
Hungry for more? Here's some interesting stuff