This is my favorite Tabbouleh recipe. A Tabbouleh salad is a popular Middle Eastern vegetable salad recipe that has spread around the Mediterranean as well as around the world, and it is one of the most fresh and happy :) salads I know. It is a healthy and easy vegan recipe, perfect as an appetizer, side dish or it can be served as a filling main meal by itself.
Even though Tabbouleh is easy to make with simple ingredients (exactly how I like it!), there are some tricks to make it perfect:
- Do not use too much bulgur wheat. Bulgur is very filling and very tasty, but can make
you uncomfortable in your belly after a while.
- It’s best to only soak the bulgur
in the lemon juice and dressing of the salad; no boiling or hot water soak needed!
bulgur needs at least 30 min to start absorbing the goodies from the salad dressing, so
wait to eat it until the bulgur has become white and soft.
- And, use lots and lots of fresh lemon juice!
Here it is; a fresh, healthy and vitamin-packed Tabbouleh salad!
Crispy & Crunchy Tabbouleh Recipe
- ¼ cup cracked Bulgur wheat
- 4 ripe
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 huge bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, stems cut off and finely chopped
- A few fresh
mint leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ cup olive
- Juice of 2
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the
bulgur in a mixing bowl and pour the lemon juice on on top and mix.
- Dice the tomatoes
and add on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (This will draw out a lot of juices!)
- Pile on the chopped spring onions.
- Cut off the stems of the parsley, and chop the leaves finely.
- If using fresh
mint, chop and add with the parsley to the mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil on
top and sprinkle on some more salt and pepper. Don't stir yet! You want the bulgur wheat to absorb all the dressing in the bottom.
- Cover and let it stand in room
temperature, or fridge for 30 min. Finally, stir and serve!
Serve on a
plate together with for example lettuce leaves to scoop up the Tabouleh salad
with. Or you can fill a lettuce leaf with the salad, wrap to a bite sized «package»
and stuff it in your mouth. Absolutely addictive!