Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
A vegetarian stuffed eggplant recipe that will melt in your mouth! It's an elegant gourmet dish, that's both easy and frugal to make!
I love aubergine recipes! Eggplants/Aubergines (same thing) are so versatile, you could use them for almost any vegetarian recipe. This is a quite elegant baked eggplant recipe. It's easy to make and still very impressive.
Make sure to cook the vegetables very well until tender, almost creamy. You don't want any raw vegetables to ruin the taste that's so sublime!
Serve the stuffed aubergine with basmati turmeric rice and you're heading for a gourmet-class recipe! And yet it's frugal and even not so expensive. It's also easy to get the ingredients. Nothing really weird, exactly as I like it!
This is a lacto-vegetarian dish, but could easily be made vegan, by replacing the cheese with a vegan alternative.
The recipe serves two, but you can easily double the stuffed aubergines for 4 people. It's tasty cold as well, and can be stored in the fridge and reheated the next day without loosing any flavor.
Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
Here's What You Need
- 1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 200 gr white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 Tbs dried basil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Black pepper to taste
- 100 gr blue cheese or gorgonzola
Here's What You Do
- Heat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F
- Remove the flesh from the eggplant, but leave about 1/4 inch so that you have a shell to fill. Use a small knife to cut around the edge of the shell, leaving about 1/4 of an inch for stability. I find that an ice cream scoop works quite well to then scrape out the flesh from the eggplant.
- Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat in a casserole.
- Add the onion and fry until translucent.
- Add the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the stock cube and seasonings and cook until very soft.
- Place the eggplant shells on an oven proof dish.
- Fill the eggplant with the vegetable mixture and crumble the blue cheese on top.
- Cook in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until slightly golden and bubbly.
- Let cool slightly and serve with basmati turmeric rice (below).
Very Simple Basmati Turmeric Rice
- Prepare and cook basmati rice according to package instructions.
- When almost done, but still having a bit of moisture left, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, a dash of curry powder, and a Tbs of butter.
- Add salt to taste and continue cooking until rice is done. Let cool slightly, fluff it up and serve.
I hope you liked this recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Have a great eggplant recipe you'd like to share? Join the vegetarian recipe exchange here and share your recipe!