Mashed Potatoes Recipe
The best mashed potatoes recipe is also the simplest.
Potatoes like it simple! They are the most humble of all vegetables, and yet potatoes can be used in so many different types of dishes and be prepared in almost any imaginable way possible.
But the best potato recipe, in my opinion, is a simple recipe.
Mashed potatoes is a true comfort food and goes well with many vegetarian dishes. And making your own potato mash is both easy and healthy to do!
A great tool to use is a potato press or "ricer". With it, a mash is really easy to do, but the potatoes are really tasty simply "riced" like this as well, and any gravy on top is just... sublime! :)
This recipe uses very little skim milk and just a small piece of butter.
But I find it works also without milk at all, and no butter either! Instead you can just use some of the cooking liquid. This would make it great for Vegans as well.
If you don't drink milk, the mashed potatoes also works well if you replace the milk with soy-milk or any other milk alternative.
The Best Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Here's What You Need
- 2-3 medium potatoes per person, peeled and quartered.
- enough water to cover the potatoes
- a little sea salt for the cooking water
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled
- a little skim milk (or milk alternative), or reserved liquid from the boiled potatoes
- optional: 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- salt and pepper to taste
- a sprinkle of nutmeg
- optional: some chopped parsley to mix in the ready mash.
Here's What You Do
- Put the potatoes and the garlic cloves in a pot with lightly salted water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Test with a stick to see when the potatoes are soft.
- Drain and reserve the liquid.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic. I use a potato press and simply press it all (pressed potatoes is great and fun to eat too!). But you can just use a fork instead.
- Add the milk or reserved liquid, a little at a time while mixing the mash. Stop adding liquid when the consistence is as you like it.
- Taste with salt and pepper, maybe butter and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- That's it. Your mashed potatoes are done!
Goes Well With