Marinated Bean Salad
This marinated bean salad with giant white beans can be served as a delicious vegan appetizer or as a side dish with for example a raw vegetable salad.
When cooking with beans, and especially when using dried beans, it's important to always try to find the freshest ones. They will cook better and faster.
Try to find a store where they sell a lot of dried legumes, for example a Mediterranean or other ethnic food store.
Did you know? Combined with grains, for example a slice of freshly baked whole wheat bread, beans provide you with complete protein as well.
This is a very simple dish to make. (You could even try mashing the beans for a white-bean dip as an alternative.) The bean salad keeps for a week in the fridge. You can freeze any
leftovers in small containers.
Marinated Bean Salad Recipe
Here is What You Need
- 1 cup giant white beans, soaked and cooked (=1/2 cup dried beans) (see how to cook beans below).
- 4 cups water for boiling
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 6 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- black pepper to taste
Here is What You Do
Start by preparing and cooking the beans:
- Soak the beans in plenty of fresh water overnight.
- Drain and put in a large pot with 4 cups of fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer on low heat for 1-2 hours.
- Add a bay leaf when boiling for easier digestion.
- Check for readiness by taking one bean and cutting it in half, when there is no white spot in the middle they are ready.
Make the marinade:
- When the beans are done, heat 2 tbs. of the olive oil in a saucepan on medium-low
- Add the spring onions, green and red peppers and cook gently until
fragrant about 3 min.
- Take off the heat and add the rest of the olive oil,
salt, parsley, vinegar and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked beans to the hot marinade and let everything cool.
This dish gets
better and better after the flavors are allowed to blend, but you can of course
nibble away at once if you wish!
Serve in a small bowl along with some
black and green olives for a super tasty, and healthy, appetizer.
Stock up on the best quality of herbs and spices for healthy vegetarian cooking. Buy bulk herbs and spices here.
Want more vegetarian recipes like this? Subscribe to our free e-zine: "The Veggie Zine" to get delicious recipes and cooking ideas delivered to your inbox: