A Caponata is a vegan marinated eggplant dish originating from Sicily, Italy. This is a delicious appetizer that gets even better the day after! It can be served both hot and cold.
Serve this sweet and sour Mediterranean vegetable dish as an appetizer
on small toasts (cut out slices of whole wheat toast with a cookie
cutter and top with the eggplant salad), on top of lettuce or simply as it
is together with some garlic bread.
It can also be served as a side dish. The vegetables are fried lightly, cooked and marinated and still this is an easy dish to make!
This eggplant salad keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a week.
TIP: When frying the eggplant
bits, make sure to keep the oil really hot, and put only a small batch
of eggplant pieces at a time, this makes the eggplant brown beautifully
but without absorbing too much oil!
Apart from being such a delicious vegetable, eggplant is really healthy too. Read more about the health benefits of eggplants here: http://www.well-beingsecrets.com/eggplant-health-benefits/
Here's What You Need
- 2 medium eggplants, unpeeled and cut into small (1/2 inch) cubes
- 3 + 3 tbs. olive oil
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 medium red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbs. red or white wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs. tomato puree
- 12 black Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- 1 tbs. capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here's What You Do
- Sprinkle the eggplant cubes with salt in a container and let them stand for 30 min. (In the meantime you can prepare the other ingredients.) Rinse the cubes and lightly squeeze out any excess water or pat dry.
- Heat 3 tbs. olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add the celery and cook for about 10 min. Then add the onion and cook for another 10 min. until the vegetables are soft. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add more olive oil to the frying pan, increase heat to high and carefully put a small batch of the eggplants, cook for about 5 minutes turning until lightly browned on all sides.
- Pour out some of the excess oil if you wish, then add all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 min. stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the mixture cool. Serve the dish chilled.
Image courtesy of Cassinam at Italian Wikipedia, via Wikimedia Commons