Amish Macaroni Salad Recipe
Amish Macaroni Salad Recipe is a deli-style pasta salad that is
very tasty. It is a perfect picnic recipe, as well as a great side dish
for grilling or at a summer party buffet.
The classic Amish macaroni salad contains a lot of fat and white sugar,
which is not very healthy…
In my version we will use Greek (of course!) natural, reduced-fat yoghurt, as well as low-fat mayonnaise.
You can omit the eggs, and replace the mayonnaise for a vegan substitute if you wish. The salad still rocks!
Since the original recipe is too sweet for our “Mediterranean
taste buds” I also have reduced the amount of sugar and use Demerara
brown, unrefined sugar. The salad gets better the day after, the flavors
really need to blend- so make sure to prepare in advance!
I believe this healthier; low-fat version is absolutely delicious!
Amish Macaroni Salad:
Here's What You Need:
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled small cucumbers
- 1 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (e.g. Hellman’s)
- 1 cup reduced fat Greek natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Demerara, brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
Here's What You Do:
- Boil macaroni according to instructions, 8-10 min. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together the onion, celery, red and green pepper, and pickles. Add the eggs when done.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, yoghurt, mustard
and salt. Mix the sugar and vinegar in a small bowl first to let the
sugar melt. When sugar has melted, blend well with the mayonnaise and
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables, mix, and finally stir in
macaroni until well blended. Cover and refrigerate preferably overnight,
but at least for 1 hour before serving.
Here are some other links you may enjoy:
Return from Amish Macaroni Salad Recipe to Vegetable Salad Recipes
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Home Page